Grants Available for Lanai Small Businesses
Small businesses are at the heart of any community, and Lanai is no different. Our favorite mom-and-pop shops, services and locally owned restaurants can’t be found anywhere else, which is exactly what makes them so special.
Owning a small business isn’t easy, no matter where you’re located. The Maui County Office of Economic Development recognizes that entrepreneurs on Lanai and Molokai must be especially driven, creative and hardworking to succeed in smaller markets.
That’s why the county is teaming up with Lokahi Pacific, a nonprofit community development organization, to administer the Small Business Revitalization Grant Program for Lanai and Molokai.
Program helps Lanai businesses
The Small Business Revitalization Grant Program is intended to give small business owners on Lanai and Molokai expanded opportunities by providing funding between $500 and $5,000.
Owners can apply for grant funding for new equipment, renovations, websites, marketing materials or other purposes that will help the business grow and succeed.
The program offers a 40/60 match grant, meaning business owners must contribute 40 percent toward the cost of business expenses to receive a 60 percent grant award.
How to apply
Lanai businesses are eligible if they can answer yes to all of the following questions:
- Is your primary place of business on Lanai or Molokai?
- Are you a sole proprietor, corporation, partnership or LLC with less than 10 employees?
- Are you a U.S. citizen, or a legally registered alien and resident of Lanai or Molokai?
- Have you been in business long enough to file at least one federal and one state tax return?
- Are you able to submit a plan for the use of the funds and how it will impact the business?
- Can you provide proof that you are able to fund the 40 percent match?
If you’re a small business owner on Lanai that would like to take advantage of this program, download the application and submit your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org (or call 808-242-5761 for a mailing address).
The deadline to apply is Oct. 22, 2018. Good luck to our small businesses!
You must be logged in to post a comment.